It no surprise that the Coronavirus COVID-19 outbreak is affecting the creative industry. Gear Focus is your partner and we are working to provide support to all those affected by the pandemic. Please read our tips for more information on making it through this time of crisis. As always, Gear Focus is dedicated to being a solution to this problem as we work together to ensure all members of our community are able to continue making money.
Coronavirus COVID-19: How the Spread of this Pandemic is Affecting the Creative Industry for Photographers, Videographers, Filmmakers, and More.
We’ve probably all heard by now that NAB 2020 has been officially cancelled due to the Coronavirus ( COVID-19 ) outbreak. But other industry professionals are feeling the affects of this pandemic as well. Economists are saying that the effects of this on the economy can send us into a global recession. And recessions tend to hit freelancers the hardest.
Not only are conferences being cancelled or postponed, but so are other events like the NBA, NHL, and MLB. The NCAA has cancelled all tournaments including the NCAA March Madness tournament. This puts the production, photo, and video teams for those athletic events on hold as well.
We’ve even heard reports that weddings (especially destination weddings) are being postponed due to travel restrictions. Obviously this is having a devastating effect on wedding photographers and videographers who depend on those events. Be flexible with your clients on rescheduling. They simply can’t help what is happening with Coronavirus right now. It will go over well in the long run.
Gear Focus Offering Solutions for Cash-Strapped Creatives
Now, with that said, we know that this pandemic is hurting people’s bottom line. So what can you do while this is ongoing? Well one of the major responses we’ve seen from multiple sources is a sell-off of unused/non-essential gear. Many creatives are looting their closets, finding gear they no longer need and selling in order to make a few bucks. In an effort to aid these creatives and as a way of using our platform to be a solution: Gear Focus will be removing seller fees for all sales through April 1st.
You read that right: Gear Focus is offering ZERO seller fees through April 1st in an effort to put more money in the pockets of creatives. If you have had gigs cancelled due to Coronavirus and are looking to sell some old gear in order to make a few bucks, list for FREE on Gear Focus now.
Suggestions to Help Prevent the Spread of COVID-19 When Selling Your Camera Gear
Clean your gear throughly before shipping to the buyer and do the same when receiving your new gear. Check out our video below for camera cleaning tips and advice. When selling gear online, please remember to thoroughly wipe down with disinfectant clothes all items. And more importantly, you’ll definitely want to be sure to thoroughly disinfect all packages received. So if you are buying gear, properly disinfecting is a must! Read more about proper gear cleaning HERE.
Dealing with the Coronavirus Crisis
It’s important to do your part to prevent the spread of this virus. Tips for preventing the spread of Coronavirus (COVID-19) from the CDC:
- Clean your hands often
- Avoid close contact
- Stay home if you are sick
- Cover coughs and sneezes
- Wear a face mask if you are sick
- Clean and disinfect surfaces
- Stay healthy with proper exercise and eating habits
Obviously it goes without saying that your health is more important than your bank account, so be safe. First and foremost, you must take care of yourself and do your part to prevent spreading the Coronavirus to others.
How to Spend Your Creative Time While You Can’t Travel
Now onto our ways to keep yourself busy and maybe earn a few bucks to keep you afloat.
- Clean up your studio and work space. Having a zen like space allows you to be more productive. Clean up your creative space so that you can focus on the work that has been piling up or prepare and get ahead of the game for future work.
- Write blogs and content for your website. We all have a hard time creating content on a regular basis, so now is the time to get ahead of the curve. Stay home and write content for your blog while you wait for the Coronavirus effects to slow down.
- Catch up on Editing Photos & Footage. Whether you are a photographer or filmmaker, often we edit our footage and photos ourselves. Take the time to clean up your files and edit some of the work that has been sitting for way too long. 😊👊
- Take an online training course. If there is a program or skill that you are still learning, now is a better time than ever to hone your skill set and improve your knowledge base.
Do you have more tips and suggestions? Let us know in the comments below as we would love to hear from you. And remember to stay safe and do your part to prevent the spread of Coronavirus.